2 Cups Harvestime Mixed Vegetables
½ Cup Harvestime Sweet Corn
1 Cup Harvestime Diced Potatoes
800g Beef Mince
1 Onion, finely diced
1 Finely Chopped Garlic Clove
1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
3 Teaspoons Curry Powder
1 Teaspoon Flour
½ Teaspoon Pepper
Salt to taste
1 Can tomato & onion mix
1 Batch Basic White Bread Dough
Prep Time: 15 - 20 min
Cooking Time: 30 - 35 min
Serves: 6 - 8 portions
For the filling..
- Fry the onion until soft and translucent.
- Add the mince and brown while breaking up any lumps.
- Add all the dry spices, tomato paste and flour and brown for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomato and onion as well as the potato cubes.
- Top up with just enough water to cover the mince mixture by ¾.
- Braise on the stovetop with the lid on for 20 minutes until the meat is reasonably tender.
- Remove the lid, add the frozen mixed vegetables and corn and simmer for another 15 to 20 minutes until most of the sauce has reduced.
- Stir regularly and adjust seasoning as needed.
For the Vetkoek...
- Shape pre-prepared and knocked back dough in to 12 to 16 even rounds.
- Prove under a moist kitchen towel until doubled in size.
- Pre-heat a deep-fryer or a large pot with oil.
- Dunk the proved dough balls into the hot oil and spoon hot oil over the top of each vetkoek while it is browning at the bottom.
- Once one side is golden brown, turn over and repeat the process.
- Remove the vetkoek from the heat and drain excess oil before seasoning each vetkoek while it is still hot.
- Once slightly cooled down, create a pocket in each vetkoek and spoon in a generous portion of mince.
- Serve with chutney or homemade achar